Monday, March 7, 2011

“Laugh, clown, laugh. This is what I tell myself whenever I dress up like Bozo.” Jack Handy

Hello readers! I'm back by popular demand. (okay....... one person missed me). But I like that one person so I'm writing this blog just for her.

I've been up on my foot for a couple weeks now. My foot is doing OK, although it is going to take some time and I don't think it will ever be back to "normal". Whatever that is. It's been so long I don't remember! It is still swollen. Apparently, it can take up to a year for the swelling to go down. And my toe is still stiff. So I am supposed to be manipulating it around a few times a day.

But the doctor said I could try wearing regular shoes. (Instead of my lovely "post-op" shoe) Preferably shoes with a stiffer, supportive sole.

Herein lies my problem. None of my shoes fit on my swollen foot. It is at least one to two sizes bigger than my other foot! The last shoes I was told to buy when I broke my foot were Danskos. Because of the way Danskos are made, your foot doesn't bend---it rolls. So I shelled out $130 of Alan's hard earned buck-a-roos for a pair of clunky Danskos. Yes, they helped me walk better, but I felt like Bigfoot wearing them.

In fact, my shoes were sitting by the front door one day when Hannah came home from school and said:

"Oh, is Dad home?"

"No, why?"

"I just saw his shoes by the front door."

WAAAAH!

That's how big and masculine looking the shoes are. To add insult to injury, the very next week I was visiting teaching and took my shoes off by the front door, as is customary here in the tundra. As I was visiting with the mother, her little toddler walked by hefting one of my shoes and saying, "Da-da. Da-da." The mom said, "Oh, she thinks those are her Dad's shoes."

WAAAAH!

After digging around in my closet, I did come up with a pair of brown leather Born clog style shoes that I have managed to squish my left foot into. They are fine for now. That just leaves me with the problem of what to wear with a dress on Sunday and to YW New Beginnings this Wednesday. I already feel like I am Alice (the maid from the Brady Bunch) standing next to Florence Henderson, the mom, A.K.A. Sister Vassar. So I am determined to find a church type shoe to wear to this event.

But where can I find a store that will sell me one size 11 shoe and one size 9 shoe? Even Salvation Army won't do that! It soon becomes obvious that I am going to have to go with the bigger size and clump around on a shoe that is too big on my good foot.

And, I refuse to spend another $100 or more of Alan's hard earned moo-lah on shoes that don't really fit right and that might be too big, if and when the swelling goes down.

After looking at several stores, I did manage to find a pair of black, kind of wide-toed, sturdy, flat heeled leather shoes with a strap on sale for $14.99 that I could get my left foot into. They are kind of cute but not the most feminine. The size 11 fit the bad foot and the size 9 fit the good foot. I didn't really want to buy both sizes, so I compromised on a size 10. They are a little tight on the left and too big on the right, so I stuffed the toe with cotton balls, which helps a little.

So.........I guess I will wear them with my skirt to New Beginnings. Our speaker is a cute little thing who wears at least 4 to 5 inch heels and I know I'm going to feel like Bozo standing next to her. Oh well, I'll just have to remind myself to:

"Laugh, clown, laugh!"

17 comments:

  1. Yeah! I am so glad Alice is back! I find it hilarious that you stuffed the right shoe with cotton balls!

    Thanks for dedicating the blog post to me! I feel so loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurrah for Alice--I've missed you. So Emily was the "popular demand", huh? I thought maybe it was Susan! Glad you are mobile again, even if you have to wear ugly shoes. At least you are out of the basement! But I can just see you clumping around--only Alice....!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Laura! I just realized that not only do I feel like the maid on the Brady Bunch, we share the same name----ALICE! I didn't put that together when I wrote this. CLUMPETY, CLUMP, CLUMP, CLUMPETY, CLUMP, CLUMP, look at ALICE go!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alice was always my favorite character on the Brady Bunch, so there you go - it's good to be Alice!

    (In fact, I think that would make another good title for your book: It's Good to be Alice)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I stand next to you in the next family picture?

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. Good to have you back, Alice. You are good medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your suggestion for a book title, Kathleen! "It's Good To Be Alice" rivals "Dewey Violets" and "Welcome! Alice Turner"!

    And Mormon Mama.......I am suspicious........Do you only want to stand next to me cause your feet will look smaller? Or is it because of your deep love for clowns? haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. Thank you Mormon Mama---it's good to be back! Whoops I see I accidentally deleted my post when I only wanted to correct a misspelled word.

    ReplyDelete
  10. On the contrary. I should stand next to her in the next family picture. After all, I was the one who brought her back by popular demand----I'm popular and demanding!! Therefore, I demand to stand next to Alice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha,ha, Emily! I should feel loved with everyone wanting to stand next to me but somehow I think they all just want to make themselves look better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just read a book (non-fiction) about a man who had one leg 2" shorter than his other leg. He was in incredible pain all the time (not unlike Alice) but still did remarkable things, like run a marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. People like that amaze me, Becky. I hope you're not suggesting I run a marathon--unless it's in the Special Olympics!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Will you always have to wear different sizes? Hope the New Beginnings went ok. We're going to our first one next week. Why do I feel nervous?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know, Laura. I think the swelling in my foot has gone down a little but where he put the plate in there is a bump and it makes it bigger. I guess time will tell. Have fun at New Beginnings! Don't feel nervous. It's not like they are going to ask you to be the camp director or anything. hahaha..........or are they?????? The person we requested to be the camp leader turned the calling down so we are back to square one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, you know, it's a whole new ward and everything. I don't know what they are doing with girl's camp now.

    ReplyDelete