Monday, February 7, 2011

Feet, what do I need you for when I have wings to fly? Frida Kahlo

Personally, I think Frida Kahlo is on drugs. I mean it's a nice sentiment--having wings to fly---and all, but I haven't met anyone who has them....yet. I have met people with horns, but not wings. But let's humor Frida for a minute. What would you do if you had wings to fly? Here's my list:

If I had wings to fly I wouldn't have to drive for 3-6 hours to take YW to stake activities.
If I had wings to fly I could go visit all my kids and relatives not living here.
If I had wings to fly I would go someplace WARM like New Mexico or maybe Hawaii.
If I had wings to fly I could have flown on the ill-fated, tick infested, 9.2 mile hike and maybe my foot wouldn't have started hurting.
If I had wings to fly I wouldn't be sitting in my "basement office"--I could fly upstairs whenever I wanted.
In fact, if I had wings to fly I wouldn't have had to have a pin in my toe and a plate in my foot because I would, in fact, not need my feet.

Unfortunately, since I don't live in la-la-land like Frida, I DO need my feet!

Speaking of my feet, I have good news and bad news to report.

The good news is, I got the pin out! And lived to tell about it. YIPEE! I have the pin in my possession. It will be good for grossing out the young women and Sister Vassar. Too bad my kids are so old now, otherwise they could take it for show and tell. It's 5 1/2" long and pointed on the end like a nail. I know you are all wondering---DID IT HURT? Only for a second when I felt a sharp stab of pain. And then it was over. When he first started pulling on it, the end with the ball broke off, so he just grabbed the end with a pair of pliers and yanked. So now, instead of my toe being curved under and claw-like it sticks stiffly straight out. So far, I have been unable to bend it, but the dr. hopes I will be able to in time. It is a weird feeling to bend my toes and have one that sticks straight out. I feel like I'm, you know, giving people an old-fashioned "california salute". Also, it is mostly numb.

The bad news is that I still can't put any weight on my foot for TWO MORE WEEKS! I cried all the way home from the doctor's because I was so hoping I could walk earlier. Two more weeks seems like an eternity! In all, it will be 5 1/2 weeks that I can't walk. Even when I can put weight on it, if it hurts a lot or swells up I have to stay off of it. :( :( I'm so bummed out! I wanted to be up and about before Valentines' day and all the boys birthdays and Hannah's concert and Kristin vocal solo..................so sad. But........there was a bright spot to my day. I received in the mail, a homemade "walker bag" that attaches to my walker with velcro and has three slots--one for my water bottle, one for the TV remote, and one for my book. Such a thoughtful and clever gift. Now when I go visiting teaching at the assisted living center, I will fit right in and be the envy of all the tenants there!

This post was actually supposed to be a continuation of the downward progression of my foot, but I'll have to save that for next time. "They Didn't Know They Were Pregnant" is on!

5 comments:

  1. Pictures of the pin forthcoming? And yes, a thoughtful gift for your walker. I do remember driving with you down the streets of Albert Lea and you raising your INDEX finger off the steering wheel to greet people. Some kind of mid-western salute of "hello" greeting that I would soon learn from 11 years in North Dakota is a typical "hi, how are you, but I'm driving" greeting to each other as your cars pass. Your straight toe reminded me of that gesture. Not that you can use it while you're driving to say "hello". Or maybe you could. That could present a whole list of other injuries, never mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I can just see me doing that while I'm driving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Alice, how's the foot doing? Isn't the end of the week the date when you can try putting weight on it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it is Margaret. I'm doing okay, except that I think I am having a case of the "blues". Probably cause I never go anywhere. I haven't been to church for 5 weeks! Plus, I'm scared that when I try to put weight on it, it will really hurt and swell up and then I'll have to stay off it longer. It is still some swollen as it is. SIGH! It's been hard. BTW, I finished the book you lent me and enjoyed it. Thanks for sending it. And thanks for asking about me. :) I hope you had a happy Valentines Day. Mom came and helped me make the big sugar cookies I usually make for everyone. We should have taken a video of me getting up the stairs and into standing position since neither Alan or Matt were here to get me up. I had to slide up on my rear with knee pads on (on my knees), scoot over to the carpet in the LR, roll over onto my knees, crawl over to the couch, push up with my good leg and one hand, flop onto the couch, scoot down to the end so I could use the arm and stand up on my one leg! Then repeat the process going down. This is why I never go anywhere! Thanks for thinking of me! :)

    ReplyDelete